slides: RI House Power Structure: Who’s In and Who’s Out?
Thursday, March 27, 2014
The implications of the changeover to the new leadership group are profound as legislators and committees are being realigned, and agendas re-calibrated.
Legislation that was dead may have new life, and correspondingly – “sure things” may now have tough roads. The transition from Friday to today has shifted Rhode Island’s legislature from left to moderate or even conservative.
As examples, the NRA legislative ranking shifts from a 58 percent score for Fox to a 100 percent ranking for Mattiello. The Judiciary Committee Chair shifts from a score of 0 percent of a 92 percent score under the new chair.
Yesterday, two major committees were reassigned – Judiciary and Finance – two of the most powerful House positions have new leadership.
The biggest surprise was the Speaker Mattiello giving a plum position to one loyal Republican – a move that is unprecedented.
Take a tour of Who is In and Who is Out in the Committee assignments. Two key committees are still unassigned – House Labor and Oversight.
See the new power structure in the slides below
Related Slideshow: RI House Power Structure: Who’s In and Who’s Out?
- Legalized Marijuana in Jeopardy with Mattiello as Speaker
- NEW: Rabid Fox Found In East Greenwich
- 5 Reps Who Could Succeed House Speaker Gordon Fox
- NEW: Rep. Lombardi Calls for Fox’s Resignation
- Chafee Answers Questions on Fox and Mattiello
- NEW: Sam Bell Declares for Fox’s House Seat
- Fox Scandal: First Time State House Raided in RI History
- NEW: Speaker Fox’s State House Office Raided by FBI, State Police
- Fox Scandal: Winners and Losers
- PODCAST: Fox Scandal - Winners and Losers
- NEW: Block Calls Out Raimondo, Taveras, Fung for Ties to Fox
- RI State Report: Block v. Fox, RIGOP Push for Latino Vote; More
- Mattiello Takes Control of the House
- NEW: Fox Fined $1500 by Ethics Commission for PEDP Non-Disclosure
- RI State Report: Speaker Fox’s Home, Office Raided + Reaction
- BREAKING: Fox Resigns As Speaker of the House
- NEW: Fung Calls For Fox to Step Down From Speaker